Multi-terrain loaders prove to be hot ticket in 2020 —with sales up 35% year over year.
Thanks to its versatility, the multi-terrain loader is one of the most popular small project machines we sell at Ritchie Bros. It’s used across nearly all industries, from construction to farming, and its size and ease of maneuverability make it ideal for jobs where a bigger machine can’t fit. Plus, its rubber tracks allow it to operate on sand, snow, mud, and turf.
The versatile multi-terrain loader was in high demand in 2020, with a record number of units selling through our numerous sales channels,” said Doug Olive, Senior Vice President, Pricing, for Ritchie Bros. “There are a number of factors that have contributed to this record-breaking year for multi-terrain loader sales, including an uptick in residential construction, rental company fleet renewals, landscaping projects, seasonal work, and more.”
In the United States since 2015, Ritchie Bros. has sold more than 14,000 multi-terrain loaders for US$313 million, with 2020 being a particularly strong year for MTL sales. In fact, in the first three quarters of 2020 (Jan – Sep) Ritchie Bros. has already sold 2,750+ multi-terrain loaders for US$64 million, which is just shy of total MTL sales in 2019.
Pricing has also reached record highs for multi-terrain loaders in 2020. In Q2 2020 (Apr – Jun) MTL median pricing reached $23,000, which is up 8.7% from the previous record. However, in Q4, median pricing declined slightly to $21,000 as shown through RB NOW! a view in Ritchie Bros. Market Trends, which highlights transactions over the past 30 days.
Industry highlights: medium-large construction equipment
Every edition of Market Trends Report we highlight select industries, and give readers a snapshot view of pricing trends, volume sold, and which brands are leading the pack in terms of sales. This edition we are looking at equipment sold in the US from the medium-to-large construction category, including articulated dump trucks, dozers, and wheel loaders.
Articulated Dump Trucks: Approx. $281MM; approx. 3,200 units sold (All model years included)
• Median pricing: Quarterly median pricing has declined through 2020, from its high of $86,250 in Q1 to just over $54,000 in Q3. Pricing has increased slightly in Q4 to $56,500 as displayed in the RB NOW! tool of Ritchie Bros. Market Trends (as of Dec 17, 2020)
• Volume sold: Q1 2020 saw its second highest quarterly volume in the last 3 years with 292 units, 13% less than Q1 2019 at 335 units
Top selling brands by volume:Caterpillar, Volvo & Terex
Top makes & models sold by volume: Caterpillar 740, Caterpillar 740B & Volvo A40F
Dozers: Approx. $507MM; approx. 8,400 units sold (All model years included)
• Median pricing: Quarterly pricing has remained fairly stable through 2020 compared to previous years, starting at $48,000 in Q1, rising to $50,000 in Q2, and declining to $47,000 in Q3. However, a look at the past 30 days of transactions using RB NOW!, median pricing has risen to $55,000 (as of Dec 17, 2020).
• Volume sold: Q1 2020 volume of 717 assets is the highest volume since Q1 2015
Top selling brands by volume: Caterpillar, John Deere & Komatsu
Top makes & models sold by volume:All Caterpillar – D6T, D6N & D6R
Wheel Loaders: Approx. $553.8MM; approx. 12,400 units sold (All model years included)
• Median pricingQuarterly median pricing has declined through 2020, from its peak in Q1 at $40,000, to $33,000 in Q2, to $32,750 in Q3. But, using RB NOW!, median pricing over the past 30 days increased to $35,500 (as of Dec 17, 2020).
• Volume sold:As with previous years, Q1 2020 saw the highest volume sold at 940 machines, with lower volumes sold in Q2 and Q3
Top selling brands by volume: Caterpillar, John Deere & Volvo
Top makes & models sold by volume:All Caterpillar – 980G, 938G & 950G
The January version of the Ritchie Bros. Used Equipment Market Trends summary report is now available at rbassetsolutions.com/market-trends-report. On top of a deep dive on multi-terrain loaders, the report also includes mix adjusted used pricing indices
For more information about Market Trends, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sell my equipment